CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, May 6, 2011

Options

I am currently off all of my medication, but I am not convinced that that is the right decision for me right now. After a year + of taking Methotrexate for my RA, I found out that it can cause Leukemia. I promptly decided to go off the medication because I surely don't want to take a chance of leukemia developing. I have been pretty sore. I think the fluctuations in the weather have a lot to do with that.


That being said, I have been researching some alternatives for medication. I found one on the internet that sounded promising. I requested more information on the particular drug and it arrived in the mail yesterday. I was expecting some miracle drug that would take my pain away without side effects, instead, this is what I found:

Safety Considerations
Serious infections have happened in patients taking ? (I won't name this particular medicine). These infections include tuberculosis and infections caused by viruses, fungi, or bacteria that have spread throughout the body. Some patients have died from these infections. ? may increase the chance of getting lymphoma or other cancers. ? can cause serious side effects including allergic reactions, hepatitis B virus reactivation, nervous system problems, blood problems, heart failure, certain immune reactions (including a lupus-like syndrome), and new or worsening psoriasis.

Needless to say, I opted not to take this medication, and actually found it a little humorous that some would even consider this option.

In the meantime..... I am still searching for my miracle cure and hoping that I feel good enough in 15 days to run a 1/2 marathon :)


1 comments:

AlexFam said...

Yikes!!! I guess everthing comes with risks, but those are a bit scary.

I don't know if you are already a member of any Yahoo Support Groups for RA? But I have found one that is quite helpful with my STUPID Rosacea. After joing the group you can ask others who are dealing with RA for advice. It's real people, not drug companies, salesmen or doctors. The are dealing with RA day in and day out so they can offer tips and trick and support.

The link below is the directory where you can pick which group to join. Or you can google Yahoo groups for RA.

http://health.dir.groups.yahoo.com/dir/1600061610

Good Luck. You are an amazing mom!!!!!!!!!