CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Kate's first E.R. visit

I have a bad habit of tossing the kids stuff they leave upstairs by the top of the stairs. At the end of the day, I take one trip downstairs with all of their junk. Last Friday was no different. I tossed Emily's locket, among other things at the top of the stairs. I didn't think twice about it, because Kate has NEVER put anything in her mouth.

A few hours later, I was getting ready to make dinner. I heard Kate gagging a little and immediately knew what had happened. I rushed to her, but I was too late. I told Travis that I thought she had eaten a locket. He wondered if I had seen her eat it, which I hadn't, and he asked me how I knew. Mother's intuition is a crazy thing. How many times has she coughed and I haven't thought twice about it, or even heard it. This time was different. I knew something was wrong.

I called the doctor, and they said I needed to take her to the E.R. for X-rays to make sure it wasn't stuck in her esophagus. I felt so bad, because I knew that it was my fault. I cried and apologized all the way to the E.R. There were several doctors that asked me what had happened. I felt like I was hooked up to the lie detector test. I tried to tell the exact same story every time. I was sure that they were going to report me to DCFS. We were lucky, the X-rays showed that the locket had moved down into her bowels. The doctor thought it would pass the next day.

6 days and at least 10 dirty diapers later, we were able to retrieve the locket. What a relief! I was really starting to worry. I wiped the locket off enough just to take a picture of it, then immediately discarded it. Yes, I know how disgusting this picture is, but I thought one day she would like to see it.

0 comments: