CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

What a Storm!!!

I like to post all the silly things the kids, and even Travis, do. It's only fair that I do the same for myself.

I decided today that I wanted to go out running. The relay race is coming up quickly, and I feel like I'm cramming for a test, trying to get all the running in that I can. I knew a storm was coming, but the sun was shining and I figured I had time for a couple of quick miles.

I loaded the kids into the jogging stroller and off we went. I had planned to turn around at the first sign of rain. It was a little windy, but I knew I could handle the wind and that it would just make me a stronger, faster runner in the end.

I got about 2 1/2 miles away from home and the storm hit! No sprinkles to warn me to turn around, it was a DOWNPOUR! The wind was whipping. It seemed that any direction I ran, I was running straight into the wind. Puddles were everywhere. My feet were soaking wet and freezing cold. At one point, my hat blew right off of my head. I thought about letting it go, but it was my lucky Franklin County hat, I had to get it back. Imagine me chasing my hat. Everytime I got close, a gust of wind would come and blow it further down the street. I'm pretty sure that passersby thought I was crazy, not to mention a horrible mother to have my children out in such weather. I remember thinking that I would be OK as long as it didn't start to thunder and lightning. We were still about a mile away from home when the thunder and lightning started. I'm thinking, "please just let me get home, please just let me get home, and if somebody has to die, please make it me instead of one of my children." We made it to our church house where I decided that we needed to take cover. I huddled up under the awning of the building and the kids woke up. Gavin was scared of the thunder, I was scared of the lightning, and Kate was just playing peek a boo. Luckily, the kids were able to stay warm and dry. About a half an hour later, the lightning faded away and I thought it was time to head for home. I have NEVER seen it rain so hard in all of my life! We quickly and safely made it home alive. I was drenched! I could literally wring my shirt out!

To sum it all up... I got my five miles in today, but a lesson was learned. Next time I will watch the weather, and if rain is in the forecast, I will run on the treadmill :/

2 comments:

Coolcam said...

We biked in the scary lighning today, too! Luckily on a bike you can race the storm :D. We went around it. I'm glad you're all safe!!

AlexFam said...

You're not the only one. I saw a gal in Ogden around 1:15, I pod, shorts, soaking wet. It came on quick and caught a lot of people off guard. It makes you appreciate your home, no matter the size or if it is clean of not, you're just so happy to have a roof over you head.